Wednesday 24 January 2007

Goodbye Tamil Nadu, Hello Kerala

The train was supposed to go at 7pm. why am I not surprised that it was over an hour late? Just as well there was no change of platformk given its immense length, though I did discover in daylight that nobody uses the bridge which is miles away - we all walk over the line.

Apart from the time, I had a smooth journey. Probably the only English speaker in the carriage helped me establish myself on a seat and the inspector passed in due course. I'm beginning to think one can get away without making reservations unless the train is really packed.

Lucky I had an Indian mobile as I was able to phone the YWCA, who said they would be closed when I arrived and to go to the YMCA instead. I rolled up after 11pm, with a rickshaw driver trying to persuade me the whole way it would be closed and he knew of cheaper places. Well, the YMCA has come up with the cleanest room since I arrived in India! And telly to boot. I have been astonished by the omnipresence of TVs and it has made for some entertaining snippets of bollywood.

I'm going to stick to the YMCA for my stay here.

No comments: